Sustainability Month 2013
01 May 2013
Responding to customer’s challenges, making the best possible use of resources and creating the best possible working environment are just three of areas that international infrastructure group Balfour Beatty will be bringing into sharp focus during its Sustainability Month throughout May.
The month long company initiative, which will involve all 50,000 of its worldwide employees, including in Australia, the United States and the Middle East is aimed at showcasing some of the great work that Balfour Beatty already does on sustainability at the same time as looking to improve their performance in the area even further.
Balfour Beatty’s Chief Executive Andrew McNaughton said: “Sustainability is a word and phrase that is used a lot, but it’s often easy to forget exactly what it is and importantly what it means to a business like ours. For us it’s about maintaining a healthy and a safe workforce, making the best possible use of resources, listening to our clients, and constantly looking to innovate. It’s absolutely central to the on-going viability of our business.
“Sustainability make good business sense and is something we should excel in all year round, but Sustainability Month allows us to ‘take a view from the balcony’ on the areas where we really need to make a difference.”
As part of their Sustainability Month, staff at Balfour Beatty are organising and getting involved in a range of activities including:
- In the U.S, the office going paperless for one day
- Globally, staff devising their own personal sustainability goals to show how they will reduce their carbon footprint
- In the UK, holding a client workshop to discuss how we can best meet and surpass their needs
- In India, organising ‘Wellbeing Wednesdays’ to encourage staff to eat healthily
- In Hong Kong, setting up special booths to encourage staff to check their health
- Globally holding a photo competition to showcase some of the great sustainability projects that the group has worked on.
Balfour Beatty’s Sustainability Month runs throughout May and is in its second year of operation.
Last month the infrastructure group published its Annual Sustainability Report which showed that it had cut the amount of waste it sends to landfill by 50% since 2010.
Find out more about Balfour Beatty’s Sustainability programme and Roadmap for 2020.
Tel. +44 (0)20 7379 5151
Notes to editors:
1. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world