Success for Balfour Beatty at the Women in Construction and Engineering Awards
23 May 2019
Balfour Beatty employees were praised at the Women in Construction and Engineering Awards (WICE) earlier this week, as two employees were recognised for being top in their field.
The annual awards recognise the most exemplary women within construction and engineering across Europe with an aim of creating role models for those considering a career in these sectors.
Balfour Beatty Temporary Works Engineer, Tina Gunnarsson, who works on a variety of projects across the UK, was awarded the ‘Best Woman Civil Engineer’ and ‘Most Distinguished’ award, while Sofia Athanassiou, Commercial Director on the M25 for the Connect Plus joint venture, secured the ‘Best Woman In Highways’ award.
In total, 19 of Balfour Beatty’s employees were shortlisted across the awards.
Paul Raby, Balfour Beatty Group HR Director, said, “I am delighted that our colleagues have been recognised at the Women in Construction and Engineering awards for being experts in their fields.
“We are committed to building a workforce that is reflective of the society we operate in. We want to demonstrate to those who would not normally consider a career in construction and the younger generations, that there are a number of career opportunities in our sector. To see both Sofia and Tina, along with 17 other female employees, being so highly commended at the WICE awards was a testament to their skill. This goes to show the opportunities and the possibilities, within the industry and at Balfour Beatty”.
Balfour Beatty has a long standing commitment to equal opportunity having launched its Diversity and Inclusion Affinity Networks in 2016. The network provides a platform for all employees to bring their own unique perspective to the development of Balfour Beatty’s working culture and create a fair and inclusive workplace. As an employer of choice, Balfour Beatty recruits regardless of gender, ethnicity and social background to ensure it reflects the society in which it operates.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- As an international infrastructure company, it is critical to our success that our employees are as diverse as the customers and communities we serve.
- Balfour Beatty is committed to creating an environment where all our employees can be themselves at work and perform at their best. With a number of major infrastructure projects in the pipeline, Balfour Beatty aims to meet current and future skills demand by attracting and retaining the best available talent and is committed to removing the barriers to inclusivity across the industry. A new diversity and inclusion three-year blue-print has been created which sets out our strategic aims, objectives and metrics in support of our endeavours.
- With 26,000 employees and a wide network of partners and suppliers, we are committed to recognizing and respecting the differences between people whilst valuing the contribution that everyone can make to Balfour Beatty.
- Leo Quinn, Balfour Beatty’s Group Chief Executive, is the board level sponsor for D&I. Leo has established a Steering Committee to govern strategic D&I activities across the UK and track progress against a three-year plan.