HS2 Ltd set the standard when it achieved Platinum status – the only company in the UK to do so – in February 2021. Now its construction partners, and businesses within the wider supply chain, are being supported to achieve the same high standards across their recruitment practices and workplace environments.
Lucy Jones, HR Director at Balfour Beatty VINCI said: “Achieving Gold accreditation is great recognition of the foundations we have laid at Balfour Beatty VINCI since 2020. We hope it sends a clear message to those thinking about a career in the construction and infrastructure sectors that we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace for everyone.
“We have made significant strides in this space, but we also recognise that more can always be done. We will continue to make improvements across our joint venture, drive behavioural change, and support underrepresented groups including through engagement with our valued supply chain partners.”
Natalie Penrose, Head of Legacy at HS2 said: “Almost 30,000 people are now working on HS2, and we’ve made a steadfast commitment to ensuring our workforce is representative of the diverse communities that Britain’s new railway will serve.
“By striving to ensure that our working practices and construction sites are safe, inclusive, and responsive to individuals’ needs, we’re making great waves in attracting more women and people from disadvantaged and underrepresented groups into our workforce.”
The Clear Assured Framework is underpinned by a robust audit and evidence-based assessment process that examines all aspects of an organisation’s performance to ensure it embeds and promotes equality, diversity and inclusion (ED and I).
Balfour Beatty VINCI has made significant strides in its commitment to the EDI agenda, having first achieved Bronze status in January 2021, Silver in October 2021 and now Gold status in October 2022.
Balfour Beatty VINCI scored highly across a number of categories, including Finding Talent, Policy and Procedure, Assessing Talent and Retaining Talent. The construction company was also praised for its transparent approach, delivering training programmes and its work with third-party suppliers.
Head of Clear Assured, Anna Mäkinen, added: “Achieving Clear Assured Gold accreditation is a marvellous milestone for Balfour Beatty VINCI and demonstrates ED&I is fully integrated into the business.
“Their leadership, support for underrepresented groups and in-depth knowledge of EDI issues is clear to see. They’ve evidenced that they’re constantly learning, taking in feedback and making positive changes towards a more authentic inclusive culture”
Balfour Beatty VINCI estimates it will support circa 7,000 jobs to deliver its programme of work on HS2 and it places a strong focus on supporting local people, particularly those who are out of work, into new careers within the construction sector.
Through its specialist training academies across the West Midlands, Balfour Beatty VINCI invests in helping people to develop new skills which will enable them to play a key role in HS2’s construction.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)203 810 2345
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0) 20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 113 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain’s biggest road project; Hong Kong’s HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5 mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
- Balfour Beatty VINCI represents a powerhouse for critical infrastructure across Rail, transport and other iconic projects in the UK and beyond. Balfour Beatty VINCI’s involvement in groundbreaking Design Build Finance and Operation (DBFO) projects offers a unique end-to-end asset knowledge that is crucial in developing the best solutions to the infrastructure needs of the UK.
- Balfour Beatty and VINCI started working together over 30 years ago when both were members of the TransManche Link consortium which delivered the Channel Tunnel.
- As leading infrastructure groups, both Balfour Beatty and VINCI Construction offer opportunities for trainees, apprentices, placement students and graduates as well as sponsored degree opportunities