Balfour Beatty partnership makes a splash at Water Industry Awards
22 May 2019
Balfour Beatty, in collaboration with its supply chain partners Hogen Systems and GenQuip GroundHog, were commended at the Water Industry Awards on Monday night, as it secured the 2019 Sustainability and Resource Recovery Initiative of the Year.
The Water Industry Awards is the annual celebration of outstanding achievement and innovation in the UK water industry.
The award recognised the partnership’s initiative which combines rainwater harvesting, atmospheric drinking water generation and renewable energy sources to provide facilities for on-site workers. Currently being trialled at Balfour Beatty’s Plant and Fleet Innovation Centre in Thurnscoe, the initiative uses solar and wind energy to power a generator which produces water for drinking and other uses.
Richard Mason, Product & Innovations Manager, who led on the initiative for the partnership, said: “We are delighted to have won the Sustainability and Resource Recovery Initiative of the Year award.
“By collaborating with our supply chain partners, we were able to design innovative and sustainable solutions that offer better welfare facilities for our on-site staff and are better for the environment. The use of this innovation could reduce the need for water deliveries to remote areas and result in reduced carbon emissions from associated transport of water bowsers or tankers to site.”
Balfour Beatty is committed to embedding sustainability into all aspects of the business. In order to leave a lasting legacy in the areas in which it operates, Balfour Beatty follows a Sustainability Blueprint to further embed sustainability throughout its operations.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s sustainability strategy, our Blueprint, sets out how Balfour Beatty delivers long-term economic, social and environmental outcomes for its employees, customers, society and shareholders.
- Balfour Beatty is committed to leaving a lasting legacy in the communities in which it operates, working with local supply chain partners wherever possible, investing in local community initiatives and building the workforce of the future through apprenticeship schemes and work placement opportunities.
- The Company’s community investment programme. ‘Involved’ provides measurable objectives to drive added social value for the communities in which it operates.
- Balfour Beatty formed Building Better Futures, the company’s Charitable Trust in 2009 to help the most disadvantaged young people in society. Through a mix of employee fundraising and financial contributions provided by the company, the trust currently supports three core charities: Barnardo’s, Coram and The Prince’s Trust.