Balfour Beatty awarded place on £250 million Defence Infrastructure Framework
13 November 2013
Mansell, a Balfour Beatty company, has announced its appointment to the Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s (DIO) Regional Framework for Capital Works Projects for East Midlands and Eastern England, which has a total value of up to £250 million.
The framework includes design, development and construction work for capital projects on Ministry of Defence sites across the East of England and East Midlands for a period of four years with an option to extend for up to three years.
Contracts awarded through the framework will range in value up to £12 million, with the majority of projects for the construction of new buildings and installations. The scope of the framework will also include the refurbishment of existing infrastructure and engineering works including offices, hangars, guardrooms, railways, army personnel accommodation and runways.
At a signing ceremony at the Ministry of Defence in London yesterday, Andrew Manley, the Chief Executive of the Defence Infrastructure Organisation, Dave Donaldson, Executive Director, Balfour Beatty and other participants marked the formal commencement of the framework.
Andrew Manley, Defence Infrastructure Organisation Chief Executive, said: “DIO’s priority is to support our Armed Forces as they live, work and train on the military estate. I am pleased that future Defence construction requirements will start to be met through this Framework in what will be a busy time for military rebasing and site development. The Capital Works Frameworks programme will ensure ongoing competitive tension, better value for money, and will speed up the procurement of projects.”
Dave Donaldson, Executive Director, Balfour Beatty, said: “It is a tremendous privilege to be invited onto the East Regional Defence Infrastructure Framework.
“We are committed to continuous improvement and have a proud track record of delivering defence projects such as the Liberty Village project at Lakenheath and we look forward to serving the Defence Infrastructure Organisation on this new framework.”
Balfour Beatty has a long-established reputation for providing a leading service on frameworks and is currently a framework contractor on nearly a dozen major frameworks across the UK. Last month Balfour Beatty was awarded a place on the £500 million Construction Framework for public works in the South West for local authorities and organisations.
Tel. +44 (0)20 7963 2150
Notes to editors:
1. Other framework contractors announced are: Henry Brothers (Magherafelt) Ltd, Interserve Construction Ltd, Morgan Sindall PLC, Shepherd Construction PLC.
2. Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations. More information can be found here:https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/defence-infrastructure-organisation
3. Balfour Beatty has completed around £300 million of defence works in East Anglia in recent years, including the £127 million Liberty Village project at RAF Lakenheath (including officers’ messes, flight simulators, a large vehicle inspection facility, school and gymnasium). Other projects completed include the RAF Syerston glider storage and training facility and high security work at RAF Molesworth, and significant accommodation works on USAF projects at RAF Feltwell, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Alconbury and RAF Bicester.
4. More information on the award of the Construction Framework South West can be found here: http://www.balfourbeatty.com/index.asp?pageid=42&newsid=494
5. Balfour Beatty’s UK construction business (www.balfourbeattycsuk.com) is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s national infrastructure and an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
We offer a broad range of capabilities in construction, civil engineering and mechanical & electrical engineering services. With offices throughout the UK, we deliver a locally-focused service with the support of our national network of expertise and resources.
Balfour Beatty’s UK construction business employs 10,000 people.
6. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a global infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.