Balfour Beatty awarded Network Rail ‘Reactive Building and Civils’ Contract worth up to £50 million
03 May 2018
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, has been awarded the five-year ‘Reactive Building and Civils Contract’ by Network Rail through the ‘Route Building and Civils Frameworks’.
The ‘Reactive’ aspect of the contract, worth up to £50m over a five-year period, requires Balfour Beatty to execute rail infrastructure repairs and projects along the Great Western route from London to Penzance, at short notice.
Mark Bullock, Balfour Beatty’s Managing Director for Rail and Utilities said, “This contract award is testament to the strength of Balfour Beatty’s relationship with Network Rail and our ability to deliver at short notice a range of reactive work from track through to buildings and general infrastructure repair. I am pleased that Balfour Beatty has been entrusted to ensure the safe and efficient operation of one of the most important parts of the UK rail network.”
To service the contract, which commenced in spring 2018, Balfour Beatty plans to open a new office in the Swindon area. The contract will employ a workforce of eight, six members of staff and an additional two graduates.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the world’s biggest shopping mall in Dubai, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
- Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches & crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure outstanding track quality for our customers.
- Balfour Beatty’s current portfolio of rail projects includes the £170m Track Partnership for London Underground, the £50m project for track re-modelling of London Bridge and Crossrail projects including the £130m Abbey Wood station, the £110m Whitechapel station and the £70m station at Woolwich. Its most recent contract awards are for the supply, operation and maintenance of ‘On Track Machines’ or ‘Tampers worth £115m for Network Rail; and, the operation and maintenance of Network Rail’s fleet of track maintenance machines, known as ‘Stoneblowers’ for more than £40m.
- Balfour Beatty’s Rail Innovation Hub in Derby employs a team of the industry’s leading technical experts and engineers dedicated to research, develop and test the latest, ground-breaking technologies and working practices in the UK and overseas. These include High Speed Measurement Systems and Automated Inspection and Monitoring Systems which enable track maintenance to be done on passenger trains at high speed, allowing early fault detection and significantly reducing costs.
- Omnicom Balfour Beatty provides a complete range of infrastructure monitoring solutions; these range from trackside, dedicated monitoring trains, RRVs, to the state of the art in service train solutions. Omnicom Balfour Beatty’s software solutions complement our hardware products and are compatible with other third-party systems and provide infrastructure owners, maintainers and operators with information to help create informed decisions in real-time or for long terms strategic planning.