Balfour Beatty awarded more than $235 million (c. £196 million) to deliver projects in California
20 July 2022
Within the last six weeks, Balfour Beatty has been awarded multiple contracts totalling more than $235 million (c. £196 million) in value to construct essential K-12, correctional/justice and federal projects across California.
The project awards on behalf of local Unified School Districts (USD), San Diego County and Marine Corps exemplifies Balfour Beatty’s reputation for exceptional service and operational excellence, and the company’s ongoing commitment and expertise in providing state-of-the-art facilities that meet the growing needs of local communities throughout the state.
As general contractor, Balfour Beatty’s recently awarded projects in California include:
- Fontana USD’s new Secondary Academy: The $99 million (c.£83 million) lease-leaseback contract delivers a new, technologically innovative secondary school in northern Fontana. Once complete, the school will be a two-story, 154,670-square-foot building featuring an administration center, cafeteria and various learning spaces such as vocational classrooms, science labs, flexible performing arts spaces and a fitness and student center. The project will also include three parking lots, hard courts and play field, walking paths, gardens, courtyards, outdoor learning spaces and amphitheater. Preconstruction services are underway, and construction is scheduled to begin in the Fall of 2023.
- Fontana USD’s Sierra Lakes Elementary School Renovation: The $16 million (c.£13 million) project delivers renovations to the school’s classroom building and Kindergarten classrooms. The project provides 15 new 4th and 5th grade classrooms in a two-story building that features a second-level outdoor classroom area overlooking the San Bernardino Mountain range. Once the new building is constructed, renovations to the existing Kindergarten classrooms will commence to increase square footage and refine interior finishes. Preconstruction is expected to begin Fall 2022 with completion scheduled in Fall of 2024.
- La Mesa-Spring Valley School District’s (LMSVSD) Entry Improvements and Slope Mitigation: A $4 million (c.£3 million) lease-leaseback contract as part of LMSVSD’s Measure V Bond Program for entry improvements and slope mitigation at La Mesa Arts Academy, Parkway Middle School, Spring Valley Academy and STEAM Academy. Balfour Beatty will provide preconstruction and construction services and is scheduled to start late 2022 with an anticipated completion in 2023.
- San Diego USD’s (SDUSD) Kavod Charter School: A $28.8 million (c.£24 million) lease-leaseback contract to deliver a two-story elementary classroom building, a two-story middle school classroom building and the modernization of an existing classroom building and administration space in northern San Diego. The project will also include HVAC installation and site improvements. Construction activities will start in 2023 with an expected completion in 2026.
- SDUSD King Chavez Academy of Excellence’s Modernization: The $28 million (c.£23 million) project will transform its modular campus into a new state-of-the-art education facility where Balfour Beatty will replace all portable classrooms and existing administration building with new, two-story classroom buildings, a one-story administration building, and a food service modular building and lunch shelter. The project also features site improvements which will replace all existing hardscape and landscape areas.
- San Diego County’s East Mesa Juvenile Detention Facility Renovation and House Softening Improvements: The $3.4 million (c.£2.8 million) project includes the renovation of the building’s dayroom, the replacement of light fixtures and all mounted structures within sleeping units, and improvements to the watch tower. It will also include new paint, electrical work, flooring, millwork and ceilings, and installation of new decorative metal panels at the second-floor guardrail.
- Marine Corps Recruit Depo, San Diego’s P-315 Mess Hall Replacement – The $56.5 million (c.£47 million) Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command (NAVFAC) project features the construction of a new 100,427-square-foot dining facility for Marine Corps recruits that will serve 6,000 personnel and provide 1,800 meals a day. The project will also include all pertinent site improvements and site preparations, mechanical and electrical utilities, loading dock, telecommunications, emergency generator, fire suppression system, landscaping, irrigation, drainage, parking and exterior lighting.
Brian Cahill, Balfour Beatty president in California, said: “We’re honoured to continue our Buildings legacy in California through the delivery of projects in the high-growth K-12 education, correctional/justice and federal market sectors across the state.
“The Balfour Beatty team will leverage our extensive construction expertise and ongoing commitment to operational excellence to achieve each of our client’s individual building goals, which supports their operations in providing vital services for all. We look forward to working with Fontana USD, Spring Valley USD, San Diego USD, San Diego County, NAVFAC, and our construction partners to deliver essential facilities and making a lasting impact throughout our communities.”
For more information on Balfour Beatty please visit balfourbeattyus.com.
Media enquiries to:
+1 (214) 451-1706
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 113 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain’s biggest road project; Hong Kong’s HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5 mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
About Balfour Beatty US:
- Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the United States. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, the company is part of Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY), a leading international infrastructure group that provides innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. Balfour Beatty is ranked among the top domestic building contractors in the United States by Engineering News-Record. To learn more, visit www.balfourbeattyus.com.