Balfour Beatty awarded £70 million contract for the University of Edinburgh’s Futures Institute
06 March 2019
Balfour Beatty today announces that it has secured a £70 million contract to deliver the Edinburgh Futures Institute, a flagship refurbishment and extension project on behalf of the University of Edinburgh.
Balfour Beatty will be responsible for restoring and connecting six wards; unlocking the building’s wide corridors to create free-flowing areas in the University’s Grade- A listed Old Royal Infirmary hospital building, spanning over 21,000 square meters.
On completion, the development, part-funded by Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal, will provide multiple teaching and learning facilities, function areas, and work spaces for staff, students and the general public.
The company will utilise Building Information Modelling (BIM) and augmented and virtual reality technologies to enhance the restoration process of this iconic building.
Hector Macaulay, Balfour Beatty’s Managing Director of Scotland and Ireland, said: “We have a long history of restoring listed buildings, including the National Museum of Scotland and the Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh.
“Combining the latest construction techniques and technologies, we look forward to sympathetically restoring Edinburgh’s Old Royal Infirmary hospital for the wider benefit of the community.”
Works are due to commence in spring 2019 with an overall completion expected ahead of the start of the academic year in 2021. At construction peak, the project will employ workforce of 170 and employ a range of local supply chain partners.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty has been operating in Scotland for over a century. Today, the company employs 2,000 people across Scotland and works with a supply chain that includes a substantial proportion of local businesses.
- The company’s construction business recently completed Perth Futures Trust Phase 1, Dundee Train Station Redevelopment and the Prince & Princess Wales Hospice and Radisson Red Hotel, both located in Glasgow.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio include The Gatty Marine building for the University of St Andrews, Forth Valley College’s Falkirk Campus, University of Strathclyde’s Learning and Teaching Hub, the Institute for Regeneration and Repair for the University of Edinburgh, Glasgow Queen Street Station Redevelopment for Network Rail and A9 Dualling Luncarty to Pass of Burnham for Transport Scotland.