Balfour Beatty achieves major milestone on the Green Line Extension project
25 March 2022
Balfour Beatty, part of the Green Line Extension Constructors joint venture, has marked a significant milestone on Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)’s Green Line Extension project, successfully completing one of two lines along the new 4.7-mile light-rail route.
The milestone marks the completion of approximately one mile of double track electrified railroad and construction of two public train stations, extending access from Lechmere Station in Cambridge and Union Station in Somerville.
In addition, alongside its joint venture partners, Balfour Beatty has constructed one traction power substation, four signal houses and an Overhead Contact System, as well as 13-track storage yards and a mile-long viaduct.
Mark Konchar, Balfour Beatty Senior Vice president and Managing Director of U.S. Rail Operations said: “The opening of the Union Square Line of MBTA’s Green Line Extension project is a major milestone in the delivery of the light-rail system that will significantly enhance the travel experience for passengers and provide reliable public transit service.
“I would like to personally thank each of our teammates and partners’ efforts in safely achieving the official opening of the light-rail’s first line between Lechmere and Union Square stations. We look forward to the entire team working together to efficiently and safely deliver the next vital section of the railway that will open another revenue service for commuting passengers throughout the Boston community.”
The next phase of works, due to complete this Summer will see the construction of five new stations along a second line. Once complete, the Green Line Extension project will significantly reduce carbon emissions associated with traffic congestion and provide better journeys and connections for the community of Somerville.
Media enquiries to:
Balfour Beatty Communities
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 113 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain's biggest road project; Hong Kong's HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5-mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
About Balfour Beatty Communities
- We finance, Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the United States. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, the company is part of Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY), a leading international infrastructure group that provides innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth.
- Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest contractors, Balfour Beatty is the No. 6 Domestic Building Contractor in the United States as ranked by Engineering News-Record. To learn more, visit balfourbeattyus.com