A digitally-enabled business: Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Highways business features in Highways Magazine
06 September 2019
Phil Clifton, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Highways business is featured in Highways Magazine discussing the importance of embedding digital and innovative ways of working when delivering modern road projects for Highways England and road users.
The article explores the business’s digital strategy and discusses the elements that play the most significant roles in delivering modern highways projects, namely the use of digital modelling, project simulation and interactive sensors which allow teams to better collaborate, share data and connect to the surrounding infrastructure. The use of these technologies also contribute to the successful reduction of on-site work in line with Balfour Beatty’s 25% by 2025 strategy.
On the subject of innovation, Phil explains, “Balfour Beatty is investing in digital and in upskilling the workforce. This will allow us to move the industry forward and adapt creatively when it comes to delivering much needed modernised highways infrastructure that aligns with Highways England’s core imperatives. Embedding a culture of digital transformation allows us to embrace everything technology can do.”
To read the full article and discover more about how Balfour Beatty’s Highways business is embracing and driving technological innovation across the Highways industry, click here.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s highways business designs, constructs and manages many of the UK’s major highways. The business also delivers complex Design Build Finance Operate and Early Contractor Involvement schemes.
- Through constant innovation and the use of cutting-edge technology, Balfour Beatty supports clients to deliver optimal highways experiences to the travelling public, better connecting communities and creating more reliable and safer journeys. From project conception through to completion, Balfour Beatty has a continued focus on future proofing its schemes. This includes creating smart motorways and preparing routes to welcome autonomous vehicles.
- Current projects include Balfour Beatty’s £292m construction contract to widen a critical and complex 10-mile stretch of the existing A14, as part of Highways England’s £1.5bn A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme. The team also has extensive experience of using the latest technology to tackle congestion and is working towards the completion of Manchester Smart Motorway scheme M62 junctions 18-20 and M60 junctions 8-10.
- Recently completed Highways schemes include the £70m dualling scheme to upgrade a 2.5 mile section of the A21 in Kent from single to dual carriageway. The project has delivered a safer and more streamlined route for the travelling public, also supporting the local economy in this area of Kent.